Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Closing A Chapter (#30)

In November 2017 I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer. Over the following seven months I experienced surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. Many family and friends wanted to stay updated on my progress which led me to discover a helpful outlet for my writing skills. Weekly updates kept them informed and me connected to these many dear relationships. This was the last in weekly treatment updates and the launching point for this blog.

Update #30
This chapter of my life, cancer treatment, has officially ended! 🎉 12 rounds of chemotherapy and 20 radiation treatments don’t sound near as foreboding on this side. I am feeling well although still limited energy but even that is improving. Now I move into years of monitoring to see if it all fulfills its purpose. I saw Dr. Farrell last week who explained that I will be seeing him or Dr. Yalamanchili every 3 months for 2 years and then every 6 months. After that I will be totally done. Of course, there is a vast sea of unknowns between now and then. Is anyone ever done? I allowed myself to step over the line into negativity as Dr. F listed all the common sites for metastasis and the unexplainable symptoms I should watch for BUT it didn’t last long. Whatever the future brings, I know I am in God’s hands and He will take me through whatever I need to face in the future.

 God’s love and care were so evident to me over those long months of treatment, most especially by the numbers of people who stood beside me, keeping me strong when I felt weak and making me grateful for the power of love and relationship. I’ve said it before and will always say I am forever grateful for the gifts of time, communication, and prayers that YOU devoted to my health and well-being. I have known some of you my whole life and others of you I have never met but I love each of you and cherish you as a dear friend. For now, I humbly say “Thank you!” If I can ever give you the same gifts you gave me, please let me know. To those of you who expressed interest in tracking with me as I explore new subject matters, I’m developing some ideas and will be in touch. To the rest of you, feel free to contact me anytime by text, email, messenger or phone. I’d love to hear from you.

Throughout this journey I found songs that seemed to be divinely scheduled as part of my treatment plan. Most recently I’ve been listening to Tell Your Heart to Beat Again. So many of the words seem to summarize this experience and draw me to look to the future with hope and joy. I especially like the lines in the chorus: “Yesterday's a closing door, you don't live there anymore. Say goodbye to where you've been and tell your heart to beat again.” The song also seems to fit the life-changing experiences we all experience. I share it with you now as the closing of this chapter and the opening of a door into the future. In faith, hope, and love, Beth

 Tell Your Heart to Beat Again - Lyrics
 You're shattered, like you've never been before The life you knew, in a thousand pieces on the floor And words fall short in times like these, when this world drives you to your knees You think you're never gonna get back, to the you that used to be
 (Chorus) Tell your heart to beat again Close your eyes and breathe it in Let the shadows fall away Step into the light of grace Yesterday's a closing door You don't live there anymore Say goodbye to where you've been And tell your heart to beat again
 Beginning, just let that word wash over you It's alright now, love's healing hands have pulled you through So get back up, take step one, leave the darkness, feel the sun 'Cause your story's far from over and your journey's just begun
 (Chorus)
 Let every heartbreak and every scar Be a picture that reminds you who has carried you this far 'Cause love sees farther than you ever could In this moment heaven's working, everything for your good
 Tell your heart to beat again Close your eyes and breathe it in Let the shadows fall away Step into the light of grace Yesterday's a closing door You don't live there anymore Say goodbye to where you've been And tell your heart to beat again

 Listen to the song here: https://youtu.be/F77v41jbOYs

No comments:

Post a Comment